Six weeks after being told she’d be cancer-free by Christmas, a Nuneaton girl dies.


Six weeks after being told she’d be cancer-free by Christmas, a Nuneaton girl dies. A cancer patient’s family in Nuneaton, England, was left in utter disbelief after learning that their “wonderful girl” had passed away just six weeks after being informed that she would be cancer-free by December.

After 11 months of continuous treatment, Libby Jones, age 11, was informed in June that there were just two tumors left in her body.

On the other hand, Libby began to feel ill on the 11th of August, and the scan she underwent the following day revealed that she had severe tumors in the back of her skull, as well as in and around her brain.

Her mother, Mara Cooper, remarked that the doctors had initially informed her that her daughter might have weeks, days, or months to live. We were instructed to move Christmas forward, which was a pretty difficult thing to do.

“But all the while Libby was saying, ‘we’ll beat this,'” During that time, we met with Libby’s specialist, and during that appointment, he informed us that there is currently no treatment available for her condition. There were four possibilities, but each one presented a challenging situation.

Uncle Danny Goodaker, Libby’s family member, said that “as a family, it was the hardest choice we’ve ever had to make – that we would do nothing and we would take her home.” Libby’s family decided that they would take her home.

Libby had a long list of things she wanted to do after she got out of the hospital, including getting her nails done, going to the beach, and going to Twycross Zoo. However, she ended up spending the majority of her time at home with her loved ones after she got out of the hospital.

Mr. Goodaker continued, “On Monday night, that’s when things began to truly deteriorate. After that, Palliative Care informed us that Libby wouldn’t make it through the morning, but in a typical Libby manner, she proved them wrong and made it through the Tuesday morning.

“On August 11th, we were finally able to bring Libby home, and on August 24th, we had to say goodbye to her.”

A GoFundMe campaign has been established by the family in order to collect donations in order to provide their “wonderful girl with the send-off she deserves.”

In July of 2021, Libby received her initial diagnosis of neuroblastoma. Prior to this, a full body scan had revealed that she had cancer in her knee, hips, spine, mouth, head, and stomach.

The subsequent eleven months were extremely difficult for the family.

They included numerous rounds of chemotherapy, radiotherapy, a stem cell transplant, and Libby losing her hair, which Mara said “very saddened Libby.” Libby also had to have a stem cell transplant.

Mr. Goodaker proceeded by saying, “Considering what the daughter had to endure, she was tough—very tough.” In all that she’s attempted, she has been an unqualified success. The high-dose chemotherapy was supposed to last for six weeks, but she was only able to receive it for three.

Mara continued, “She was insistent that she wasn’t going to have a feeding tube because the majority of youngsters eventually stop eating.” She told her consultant that she wasn’t going to have one, and she went ahead and got one anyway. She only used it for a couple of days, and then she stopped.

“She experienced days when she was furious because she was perplexed and didn’t know what was going on the majority of the time,” we are told.

During the month of June, Libby was able to spend a few days at her old elementary school, the Milby Primary School.

In July, the family extended their celebrations by honoring Libby’s sister on the occasion of her 16th birthday. Libby’s sister was up “dancing, running around – literally having a great time” during the festivities.

“After that, she stopped eating quite a bit and complained of increased headaches; however, she was undergoing radiotherapy at the same time, so we assumed that the headaches were a side effect of that.”

Mara said: “She was just amazing. An amazing special young child. During the entire ordeal, she managed to keep her intellect, her personality, and her sense of humor.

“She is simply incredible, and all of us are very proud of what she has accomplished. She’s quite a tough little kid for her age. I don’t know if I would have been able to do what she achieved, and that’s why I’m so proud of her.